A&W - No longer coming to Rupert?

Erm prince rupert has a massive obesity problem. the last thing residents need is access to more shitty food like products.

North America has an obesity problem. People will still be eating bad with or without another fast food joint.

Mig the parking fee in lieu of off street parking was brought in to try alleviate the apparent lack of parking downtown. Current businesses were exempted due to grandfather clause that is usually used in most jurisdictions when bylaws are changed that affect already ongoing business operations. I personally think this is one of the dumbest things that the city has done, it only discourages investment in the downtown core. If they truly think there is a problem with parking in the downtown core, maybe they should think of buying some of these dilapidated buildings and empty lots and building off street parking. I don’t believe there is a parking problem, just a lazy ass populace problem. If we can’t get a spot right outside of where we want to go we circle endlessly until we find one. Maybe it is time for an overhaul of bylaws, if that is truly what is causing people from investing in businesses in this town.

Yeah, it’s a bit strange. In our case, they wanted us to have parking available for students (who weren’t old enough to drive).

The parking requirement would go away if we paid the city X amount of dollars. A shakedown for sure. Legal, but still the same end result – pay up or you don’t get your permit.

As for the apparent lack of parking downtown, ha! You’re absolutely right. Maybe 15 years ago it was a problem. Not anymore.

Maybe they should be encouraging greener alternatives - walking, biking, public transit. Rather than asking small business owners to pay off the city for the “parking problem.”

Whatever the reasons, A&W not coming to Rupert is really embarrassing for a “city”. :stuck_out_tongue:

You want a good hamburger, go to the Fresh Onion. Best burger in town for the price. Maybe the best burger at any price.

That’s what they say here. A Teenburger is junk food and we don’t need franchises here.
You can get a great frozen bulk patty with absolutely no spices, ketchup, an overly thick slice of tomato and romaine lettuce at any of the four Chinese places in town and that’s NOT junk food. Neither is the burger Mom cooked and served with McCains frozen fries.
BLEAGGGHHHH!!1!
And they called PIZZA junk food. Proves these people are a waste of skin.

best place to have a new restaurant is the old co op gas station with the vacant lot beside . right on the high way too for easy access

Regardless of the quality of food, there are those that would support this type of fast food establishment. Any place that will provide more jobs and contribute to the revenue stream of the city is ok by me.

I have been thinking about that space and it would be a great place for a restaurant. I would think that spot would get a few port workers also :smile:

The price of the empty lot is $500,000 a bit to pricey if you ask me.