A Trudeau Leads the Liberals once again

The next Federal election may not be as easy this time around for the Prime Minister.

Justin Trudeau wins Liberal leadership with 80% support

Probably not too happy over at the new Progressives of the NDP either!

Indeed. The PM and Mulcair have a worthy opponent.

The betting around The Farm is that Mulcair has more to worry about than Mr Harper!

I think both Mulcair and Harper have something to worry about. The new Liberal leader is very charismatic.

I still want Chretien to be Prime Minister again. I love it how he tear down the NDP and the Cons in his speech. lol

Yeah, I want a PM who can beat the crap out of an intruder. I liked PM Chretien. :smile:

[quote=“hitest”]

Yeah, I want a PM who can beat the crap out of an intruder. I liked PM Chretien. :smile:[/quote]

Yes, those were great times, especially towards the end!

cbc.ca/news/background/groupaction/

How long did it take to recover, oh wait, not there yet!

[quote=“Old major”]Yes, those were great times, especially towards the end!

How long did it take to recover, oh wait, not there yet![/quote]

Say what you will, but at least the Liberals admitted the mistakes and were punished for that.

Since then, the Liberals brought in academic nerds as leaders twice (not a bad thing), and for somehow didn’t really interest Canadians and for some reason falling to irrelevancy. Not to be negative (I voted for Trudeau; The astronaut was supposed to be my first pick), but I guess what the Liberal party needs is someone who’s not boring.

Anyway, prepare for the usual Conservative attack ads. I’m suspecting the NDP would do the same too.

Mulcair is the person primarily concerned right now about Trudeau, for the NDP’s Quebec votes from the last election will not be there, how many extra members did they get in Quebec after the election? the liberals are rebounding in Quebec, and Ontario, hell even in BC they are close to 2nd place federally. but alas election is 2 years away so lots can happen hopefully not and Trudeau kicks butt

[quote=“PLA”]

[quote=“Old major”]Yes, those were great times, especially towards the end!

How long did it take to recover, oh wait, not there yet![/quote]

Say what you will, but at least the Liberals admitted the mistakes and were punished for that.

Since then, the Liberals brought in academic nerds as leaders twice (not a bad thing), and for somehow didn’t really interest Canadians and for some reason falling to irrelevancy. Not to be negative (I voted for Trudeau; The astronaut was supposed to be my first pick), but I guess what the Liberal party needs is someone who’s not boring.

Anyway, prepare for the usual Conservative attack ads. I’m suspecting the NDP would do the same too.[/quote]

Seek and ye shall find

Now that’s pretty quick. I’m surprised they didn’t mention about him calling Peter Kent “a piece of shit”.

Wonder why though. lol

BTW… Your move, Liberals.

[quote=“PLA”]Now that’s pretty quick. I’m surprised they didn’t mention about him calling Peter Kent “a piece of shit”.

Wonder why though. lol

BTW… Your move, Liberals.[/quote]

The negative ads probably did not mention the Peter Kent comment because Trudeau apologized. Even Harperites sometimes have a glimmer of when it is best to move on.

I’m not sure that Harper’s attack ads are really that interesting outside of his hard core, or that there is much that the Liberals can or need to do in reply. A lot of Jack Layton’s electoral success came from being positive and coming across as a genuinely nice guy. Trudeau has those traits as well.

Negative, mocking ads worked against Dion and Iggy, but they don’t necessarily work against every opponent. The ads may simply reinforce just how negative and uninspiring, and particularly for younger voters out of touch, Harper and his attack dogs have become; just a bunch of crotchety old guys back in Ottawa.

Edit: the clip in the attack ad was taken from a performance Trudeau did at an event to raise funds for Canadian Liver Foundation.

In my opinion, the worst thing about the Reform party, Oops! the Conservatives’ negative ads is that they can’t accept the fact that someone’s mind may be evolving and that what a person said or did a long time ago ( probably taken out of context) doesn’t represent that evolution. Some of those Reform relics are so stuck in their own backwards thinking that it impossible for them to admit that, as new knowledge is available, a person is allow to nuance/modify his or her opinion. For them it becomes a flip-flop! They did it with Ignatieff and now they started it with Trudeau.

It’s probably for the same reason that they are so anti-science, especially anything dealing with climate and environment.

Edit: I knew the thing about Quebecers being better was taken out of context:

[quote]However, the entire clip reveals that Trudeau is actually paraphrasing his father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau, on why Quebec doesn’t need special rights.

“His philosophy, certainly as he passed it on to us, has always been, ya know, Quebecers are better than the rest of Canada because, ya know, we’re Quebecers or whatever,” Trudeau says, his Montreal accent much more apparent in the late 1990s than it is now

…“This idea that we have . . . a lot more of us are bilingual, bicultural, a lot more awareness of the rest and that’s a richness, who’s to say that we should have special protection, or special deals or special allowances that make us protected,” he continues.[/quote]

Too bad he’s running for the Liberals. I’ll never vote Liberal until the NDP squander tons of money, have a bunch of corruption scandals and plunder the citizenry with new taxes. So, you know, the mirror image of the Liberals now…

BC Liberals are not the same as the federal Liberals. They’re just socreds (and a few Reformers) who hijacked the party in BC.

Hence people like Ujjal Dosanjh and Bob Rae being members of the federal Liberals.

The BC Liberals are not as left as the Federal Liberals…but they are not as extreme as the BC Conservatives, in comparison to the Federal Conservatives…so that really leaves a gap for traditional federal voting Liberal supporters in this province…especially ones really hugging the right of centre.

For me, I have always voted Liberal federally, except one time Conservative. But I will vote BC Liberal only because there is no other centre-right option for me to pick…and the BC NDP is just too much to the left for my political tastes.

ads by parties whether negative or positive are good as long as they are factual, not snippets and sound bites without the actual full text and facts.

the ones that harper uses are only bits of actual fact taken out of context. the one on Adrian Dix states factual events not taken out of context only the tone of the ads make it sound negative, but that facts as presented are still true.

The BC Liberals are a coalition of old-time Socreds and Conservatives. They are Liberal in name only. Dix gets my vote.

I’m not a huge Trudeau fan, regardless of my opinion of the Liberals, but that ad is moronic. Would the Conservatives condemn all the men who participated in ‘Mz Judged’ as too irresponsible to serve in elected office?

When pressed by reporters to explain it is irresponsible for someone to have a bit of fun for the clear greater good of charity, Minister of Labour Lisa Raitt said, roughly, ‘What if it had been a woman up there with her shirt off with a room full of men? Think about that guys.’ And then she stormed off like she’d hit the bulls-eye. It wasn’t a young woman stripping for a group of men. It was a man doing a fake strip tease for a room of people who were there for charity, not a peep show. Trudeau kept his wife beater on. He doesn’t have breasts. So silly… but luckily I think most people will dismiss it as such.