A place for good, cheap computers

I’ve brought from this company 3 diffrent times now over the years. They stand behind what they sell.

Got some great deals on IBM workstations at the moment. These units coast over $3000 when new. Built heavy duty for industrial applications. You can pIck them up here for $200 bucks. Looking to upgrade, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better deal. Stick a modern video card in there, you’re ready to rock.

chrosmack.com/Workstations/I … kstations/

x

Wouldn’t the shipping on a workstation be pretty bad?

I get offered those too, for a couple years they outsold new systems in our store. We run several in the back room doing books, systems for downloading drivers, office workstations, etc.
They seem so slow when I have to work on them I find myself muttering… Hurry up, come on, open the damn window you old pos…

I’ve ordered used PCs from this company over the last 5 years or so and have had good luck with them.

http://www.itxchange.com/

I’ve got a Xeon powered Intellistation. No complaints so far, and I’ve had this unit about 4 years. Ready to upgrade soon though.

I used to do a lot of graphics work like fractals but the only demand for horsepower now is when I’m using the flight sim “X-plane”.

Thanks for the link. Great prices.

x

As I have to tell every potential customer: good and cheap don’t belong in the same sentence.
In this case you’re talking lower price because they’re used. I need to put up a sign. NEW - GOOD - CHEAP. Pick any two.

Goes along with the print business ‘GOOD - FAST - CHEAP’, pick any two motto

I found an Intellistation I wanted from itxchange, but the shipping and handling came out to over $100. Guess I’ll wait until I’m not at an international address.

But I did get the same model from chrosmack, via Ebay. It’ll be here Tuesday.

ebay.com/itm/IBM-IntelliStat … 5646a062d6

I’ll add more RAM and a better video card later.

x

[quote=“DHCollins”]I found an Intellistation I wanted from itxchange, but the shipping and handling came out to over $100. Guess I’ll wait until I’m not at an international address.

But I did get the same model from chrosmack, via Ebay. It’ll be here Tuesday.

ebay.com/itm/IBM-IntelliStat … 5646a062d6

I’ll add more RAM and a better video card later.

x[/quote]

Nice! :smile:
Yeah, if possible I try to buy my used PCs from within Canada as that saves on duty and shipping.

Well, we’re up and running with the new machine. Pretty fast. My only problem is with the SATA hard drive. It’s a 160 gig, but it’s only showing 73. I look at it through Partition Magic and it says “bad”. Contemplating my next move…

x

Fixed the drive with Acronis. PM has a hard time with SATA drives.

Now I can install Xplane on the new partition. Woohoo!

x

Well, I’m busy upgrading the Intellistation I bought.

This week will see a new 500 watt power supply and a Visiontek Radeon HD 6750 1 gig video card.

Next week, it’ll get a processor upgrade from 2.4ghz duo core to a 3.2 ghz duo core, and 8 gigs of RAM.

Not a Porche, but not a Ford Pinto either, ha ha.

x

[quote=“DHCollins”]Well, I’m busy upgrading the Intellistation I bought.

This week will see a new 500 watt power supply and a Visiontek Radeon HD 6750 1 gig video card.

Next week, it’ll get a processor upgrade from 2.4ghz duo core to a 3.2 ghz duo core, and 8 gigs of RAM.

Not a Porche, but not a Ford Pinto either, ha ha.

x[/quote]

why are you wasting all that $$ into those upgrades ? 8 gigs or ram is useless, you won’t even see a performance increase between 2.4 & 3.2

Install 4 gigs ram, plunk in a nice video card, keep the cpu, unless you can get a quad core, then no need to change cpu.

If you want to see huge Performance, Install a SSD drive .

Spent $150 on a new video card and power supply. Spent only $100 on a used processor and memory. It has a 160 gig sata drive.

It doesn’t need to be a speed demon. The only thing I run on it that demands horsepower is Xplane flight simulator. The rest of the time, it’s a graphics workstation. So it does need the ability to buffer up and render things like fractals.

x

Got the new power supply installed. But the new video card won’t allow the computer to boot. Fans are on and that’s it. No video signal at all.

My other two cards work fine.

Dang.

x

[quote=“DHCollins”]Got the new power supply installed. But the new video card won’t allow the computer to boot. Fans are on and that’s it. No video signal at all.

My other two cards work fine.

Dang.

x[/quote]

Time for a bios update!

Do you mean that your older video card(s) still work with the new power supply?

The ‘new’ one might need it’s own power from the power supply. If it does, and it’s plugged in and still doesn’t work you probably need a bigger PS.
500 watts isn’t much for a high end video card.
If you’ve got onboard video, check you BIOS is set to auto or PCI first in the integrated peripherals. Sometimes it can pick the wrong one, you usually just need to boot a couple times for it to get it right.

WTF are you pissing money away upgrading it for? Thought you wanted a cheap computer, which you got if it’s IBM. No damn guarantee anything you add will work with with Dells and IBMs. They’re office workstations with garbage mobos.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]The ‘new’ one might need it’s own power from the power supply. If it does, and it’s plugged in and still doesn’t work you probably need a bigger PS.
500 watts isn’t much for a high end video card.
If you’ve got onboard video, check you BIOS is set to auto or PCI first in the integrated peripherals. Sometimes it can pick the wrong one, you usually just need to boot a couple times for it to get it right.

WTF are you pissing money away upgrading it for? Thought you wanted a cheap computer, which you got if it’s IBM. No damn guarantee anything you add will work with with Dells and IBMs. They’re office workstations with garbage mobos.[/quote]

NOT true herb, you can use a 400watt psu on a high end video card, UNIL you load up a game, then it will just crash, BUT running windows and booting the computer etc etc it will run fine…

Bios has been updated to the latest release, which is 2008. Minimum to run this card is a 450W PS. Aux power cord is connected. My other two cards run just fine. But soon as I put the new one in, it won’t boot or give a video signal. No onboard video.

This seems to be a common problem for many people who’ve installed new video cards, according to what I’ve read on the net today. Worst case, I’ll just return the card and try something else. Got 30 days to return.

The Intellistation is a pretty high end computer. I’ve used them for years. Built like a tank. Costs $3000 new. Never had a problem with one until now.

x

[quote=“DHCollins”]Bios has been updated to the latest release, which is 2008. Minimum to run this card is a 450W PS. Aux power cord is connected. My other two cards run just fine. But soon as I put the new one in, it won’t boot or give a video signal. No onboard video.

x[/quote]

Thats min to run @ FULL load, not min to turn on and run!!