A.I.G. Paying $165 Million in Bonuses After Federal Bailout

Brilliant idea.

Agreed.

Here’s the article…tax it at 90% http://money.canoe.ca/News/Economy/2009/03/18/8797501-ap.html

xkcd:

I…don’t…know…what to make of that.

That picture’s hilariously ironic!

“BAIL’EM OUT!!!???”
“Hell, back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and,
as required by law, tried to run it… They failed and it closed. 
Now we’re trusting the economy of our country and our banking system
to the same nit-wits who couldn’t make money
running a whore house and selling whiskey!”

[quote=“MiG”]
Anyway, I see Manchester United still has AIG as its sponsor.  I wonder how much that costs?  Funny to see an English soccer team sponsored by the US government.[/quote]

tinyurl.com/aigmanu

Guess that’s probably not going to happen now.  And the politicians aren’t pretending that it’s an independent company any more, it seems:

“I think that AIG should drop the sponsorship deal with Manchester United. AIG are no longer an independent private company. They belong to the US government.”

If you want a seriously good story about how the world has been f’d by the good ol’ boys at the Notorious A-I-G then read April’s Rolling Stone: The Big Takeover by Matt Taibbi

The article is a much needed reference to understand how AIG and the rest of the financial world got to where it is and, quite frankly, how the US, and in turn us as we export heavily there, might be f’d for a long time.