A 30 storey building for Prince Rupert?

So first I check the date on this item and no it’s not April 1. So what gives?

From the Sydney Morning Herald

“Mr Green’s Vancouver-based firm, mgb ARCHITECTURE, is designing a prototype 30-storey building out of wood at Prince Rupert in northern British Columbia (BC).”

and then this

"Mr Green said the aim of the prototype was to show clients, developers, architects, contractors and building code authorities that high-rise wooden buildings were possible. ‘‘We need to work on explaining the details of how these things work,’’ he said. ‘‘I want to show it’s viable in the marketplace, and does not require subsidies. It can work on the economics.’’

In the interim, Mr Green’s firm has designed a 12-storey building from wood that has been funded by the BC provincial government. This will also be built in Prince Rupert."

Could it be that Ajaye was right about the “boom” after all?

First I’ve heard of the idea for Rupert, but in Australia we’re apparently the Green City of Choice, the article ran as mentioned in the Herald and the Wingham Chronicle.

Nice to see that we’re promoting the use of BC’s forests, but some are going to think that someone is using BC’s other crop from the forests and other hidden locales.

smh.com.au/business/property … 1bjj3.html

winghamchronicle.com.au/news … 95199.aspx

Be interesting to see if there is ever a correction (or if the Canadian Press also outline the construction boom to come eh).

Not sure what the hell we would do with 30 and 12 storey towers, but hey at least the holes in the ground downtown might finally get filled in!

Can’t wait for the first plane load of Aussie tourists to arrive to see the towers!

MGB have the PG and Cranbrook Airports, a building of the College of New Caledonia, on their site as buildings they’ve designed. If the website is accurate, they do have some experience with designing stuff in the North and Interior.

I don’t know how they think they’ll fill a new building in Rupert when there are so many vacant ones.

[quote=“MiG”]MGB have the PG and Cranbrook Airports, a building of the College of New Caledonia, on their site as buildings they’ve designed. If the website is accurate, they do have some experience with designing stuff in the North and Interior.

I don’t know how they think they’ll fill a new building in Rupert when there are so many vacant ones.[/quote]

Well my guess is that the building if it even gets developed it is probably going to be in Vancouver, that really is the only place with the density of population to make such structures feasible.

It might make sense in PG if their population was larger, what with UNBC and CNC so heavily invested in forest related sciences and such. But even there the idea of 30 storey building for a town of what 80,000 seems rather fanciful at best.

I just found it kind of humorous that somewhere in Australia are folks wondering about this marvel of architecture and may want to come for a walkabout as they say, think I’ll try and get the “come tour Prince Rupert’s architecture sites” franchise in tourism, could be a gold mine.

Funny how “respectable” newspapers will run a story and have no idea of the foolish nature of that which they run.

[quote=“MiG”]MGB have the PG and Cranbrook Airports, a building of the College of New Caledonia, on their site as buildings they’ve designed. If the website is accurate, they do have some experience with designing stuff in the North and Interior.

I don’t know how they think they’ll fill a new building in Rupert when there are so many vacant ones.[/quote]

Guess they assume if they can prove that high rises can be made from wood that people will come from afar, and I would assume that would be true because it does seem unique, could it will be a hotel style building? They need to build the prototype somewhere to have a physical building for clients to look at. Reasonable land shouldnt be hard to find.
Now if we get some windfarms up and producing maybe we could be some kind of green destination.

How would a wood structure hold up against a earthquake or tunsami?

Well, at least there wouldn’t be a rust issue to worry about but wood rot might be a nasty !! LOL

Does that mean the city has to buy a bigger fire truck 30 stories thats twice as high as
the highliner.

[quote=“ajaye46”]Does that mean the city has to buy a bigger fire truck 30 stories thats twice as high as
the highliner.[/quote]

[size=1000][font=arial][/font][/size]

[quote=“PLA”]

[quote=“ajaye46”]Does that mean the city has to buy a bigger fire truck 30 stories thats twice as high as
the highliner.[/quote]

[size=1000][font=arial][/size][/font][/quote]

++ :smile:

Sorry, can’t resist.

I doubt they’re going to build something 30 storeys high in Prince Rupert.

But Ajaye has already built a legend that is more than 30 stories high.

Remember when he was 100% absolutely sure that Bill Gates was buying the mill? Good times! One of the many stories in the legend that is Ajaye.

Wood structures are supposed to be better in earthquakes, cause the wood has some “give” to it. Don’t know about tsunamis.

Wood does burn much better than steel and concrete though, and thirty vacant stories sounds likes the ‘towering inferno’ in the making. Two possible building sites come to mind, how about the holes in the ground where either the Inlander hotel, or the Elizabeth apartments used to be?
This is a joke, who in thier right mind would spend this kind of money, with the present economy and existing vacancies in this town right now.
Hey Ajaye, looking for the investment opportunity of a lifetime for your retirement, or should I say retardedment?

Sorry, but the highest allowable wood frame construction under the B.C. Building Code is six stories. This is a recent change from the previous maximum four stories.

[quote=“Princess of Power”]

Wood structures are supposed to be better in earthquakes, cause the wood has some “give” to it. Don’t know about tsunamis.[/quote]

Concrete structures are supposed to hold up better in fires, but wood definitely floats better in case of tsunamis.

Don’t let the B.C. Building Code fool you. We’ve seen them flip flop on building issues in the past ( R2000 homes ). All it takes is an influence from an engineer or group who is willing to have their ducks in a row( patents, underwriters and the like) and baddabing, another amendment. Don’t underestimate the strength of a marketing influence on the B.C. Building Code. The code is full of them. A lot of wasted time and money being spent on practices that have little or no benefit to a homeowner. I’m not saying it’s ( the code) all hogwash, but every year or two it amazes me how much better the powers at be seem to think they can improve on simple wood construction.
Sorry I’m goin’ off
Off to sleep(ski)

nationalpost.com/news/Tackli … story.html

Apparently the same building is planned for in an undisclosed Vancouver location as well.

Well it looks like the dream of towers of Timber for Prince Rupert is done.

From the Vancouver Sun:

The Green-led Canadian study is a “pre-feasibility” analysis of what could become the world’s tallest wooden highrise — a 12-storey structure envisioned for an undisclosed Vancouver location. The study is being funded as part of an initiative launched last year by B.C. Forests Minister Pat Bell.

“It is our understanding that based on preliminary research results, Michael Green thinks that it may be possible to build a 30-storey building using wood-hybrid construction,” ministry spokeswoman Vivian Thomas told Postmedia News.

Fun while it lasted dreamers, but our holes will remain holes.

vancouversun.com/Plyscrapers … story.html

sky scrapers in Rupert? Stoopid idea! Even down to half the population from the old days and there is no parking anywhere at any time. Lets increase the population density and see what happens. otta be a law…

This will probably put an end to this kind of project:

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?ref=rss

[quote=“Soggy”]This will probably put an end to this kind of project:

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?ref=rss[/quote]

A bit different.

That was as stick frame. This thread is about laminate beam structure. Similar to this project.

waughthistleton.com/project. … rray&img=1