4 more years

[quote=“BigThumb”]

I don’t because the politicians are trying to take credit for work that was done by others. Belsey prancing around saying things like " I brought you the port". What a lack of integrity. The people that brought the port to Prince Rupert are Krusel and his crew of the Port Corporation. They’re the one to thank. They did all the work. Do you think the local MLA, whoever it would have been, could have worked against such a project? Not! So Belsey didn’t have a choice to support this but don’t kid yourself, of all the elected officials from the area, Nathan Cullen is the one that did a lot of work right from when he was elected. He recognized the benefits of this projects immediately. Belsey didn’t, he was too smitten by the oil and gas agenda.
Anyone else remember the CBC show (“Town Hall” maybe) that came to PR and was broadcasted across the country? I remember Joy Thorkelson making quite a passionate speech for the container port while liberals supporters were pushing the oil and gas project. Guess what came first? And Belsey goes around saying he brought the port to Prince Rupert!!![/quote]

Regardless if Bill Belsey played a role in bringing the container port project to Prince Rupert or not, amongst the general population of the area it is a pretty common misconception that he did; I definitely think that the port may have won the BCLiberals another seat.

[quote=“dylan”]
Regardless if Bill Belsey played a role in bringing the container port project to Prince Rupert or not, amongst the general population of the area it is a pretty common misconception that he did; I definitely think that the port may have won the BCLiberals another seat.[/quote]

Which is a sad thing. I would want people to vote NDP or Liberal or any other party for the right reason, not because of misconceptions.

The #1 misconception: BC Liberals are Liberals. They’re not. They’re SoCreds and Reform party refugees.

I find myself explaining this concept to people at least once a day. So many people I know think Martin and Campbell are from the same party!

Question: The provincial NDP; ideologically, are they closer to the federal NDP or Liberals?

NDP. Perhaps even closer to the greens.

s.

You keep working this man, their party name is the ‘BC Liberals’ it doesn’t matter whether or not they support the liberal ideology, it’s still just a name. Mind, there are also two known liberal ideologies; classic and reform liberalism, both differentiating from each other on the ‘left/right wing’ scale.

They’ve chosen the name “BC Liberals” because nobody would vote for them if they called themselves “BC Reform Party / SoCred Leftovers.”

Same reason the same people generally call themselves “Conservatives” federally. Because people didn’t want to vote for them when they were called “The Reform Party.”

They’ve hijacked the name, basically. Ask yourself why the BC Liberal party is the only provincial Liberal party not affiliated with the Liberal Party of Canada.

It’s to add to the confusion. The BC Liberals depend on confusion and slight-of-hand. I mean there are people who wouldn’t dream of voting Reform, but wouldn’t mind voting for the “Liberals.”

And Dylan, I’m not talking about confusion with Liberal vs liberal. I think we’re all pretty much past that, and have been for a generation. We distinguish the two by saying “big L liberal” or “small L liberal”.

I’m talking about the confusion between “Liberal Party of Canada” and “BC Liberals.”

In most other provinces, the Liberal party is the same party federally and provincially. Not here. But they want you to think they are.

Maybe they should just rename themselves the Oxymoron Party. After all, they are about as liberal as Ralph Klein.

They’re Liberals because it was easier to hijack Gordon Wilson’s party than it was to make their own Social Cretin party palatable again. They already tried by sending infil-traitors to jump on the Reform bandwagon, but were smart enough to see Reform as a perpetual Opposition.
It was easy to do, sign up a bunch of conservative types and depose a leader ripe for the picking with ‘conservative values’. You can’t be leader and have the pretty girl too…waaahhh…(remember that Peter Mackay)…waaahhh… :unamused:

Nathan Cullen was in town to support our local candidate Chuck Fraser, so I popped in to meet them.
I dunno guys… the Liberal here’s company has the biggest TFL and ships it all to be milled out of town so I’m predisposed to hate his guts, but it will take some doing to back a guy with so little understanding of business concerns. And both of them go blank when you mention Internet. For God’s sake how can you run for anything without understanding how important connectivity is, or even what it’s good for, in this part of the province. Duh!

Well Cullen knows about emails because he replied twice to emails I sent him.

Nathan is super. I think he’s going to be a main player in the federal NDP. I emailed him once during the ‘votes for 16 hyr olds’ debate and told him I thought a ‘sexier’ policy would be a $200 tax credit for everyone who did go out and vote. He came into my shop to discuss it on his next trip through.
A good politician will listen, gather ideas and utilize the resources and people in his/her area. Not simply ‘toe the party line’ and rely on Party resources.
Too much of our life gets decided by insiders from the Mainland Party bases who decide what’s good for us. We all have to get more involved and send more delegates to both parties to end being treated like welfare recipients.
Less “here’s a tax concession for mega-corp to build a mill”, more "here’s an infrastructure so a group of local investors/bands can build a mill with an assured wood supply, roads and rails that aren’t always washed out to deliver it, data links so you can market it, a pipeline so you can afford fuel and an agency to help find/train/retain the staff"
If we do things like that, and have MPs and MLAs that stand up for their communities things can turn around. Imagine a company or gov’t office that ran by asking Cow Bay computers for a quote, and actually considered it over saving $10 on a Dell. Or bought asswipe from a local seller instead of trying to save a nickel a roll. Or hired a local network guy from a local shop instead of flying in someone from Vancouver or insisting on bringing 5,000 techs from Mainland China… that would help right?