3G in Rupert

[quote=“bthedog”]

Bell and Telus share a nationwide HSPA network (3G). Including towers in Prince Rupert.

Is this a recent change (Bell/Telus being offered here). I know when I lived in PG and had a Telus phone, I could never get a Rupert number with it here and this was about 2 to 2 1/2 years ago, they said they did not have service here (same went for Bell) so it was either Rogers or CityWest at the time.

I had NO idea you could get a Bell or Telus phone here. Wow…im pretty suprised by that.[/quote]

They signed a contract with citywest in order to avoid roaming charges on either network. It would seem the agreement was more beneficial to citywest and their customers than telus/bell. the big boys seem to have gone out on their own to implement hspa here without ‘help’ from citywest as far as I know.

Citywest definitely has EVDO:

citywest.ca/latest_news/evdo … nce_rupert

Doesn’t mean it will work with your non-Citywest phone.

[quote=“MiG”]

Citywest definitely has EVDO:

citywest.ca/latest_news/evdo … nce_rupert

Doesn’t mean it will work with your non-Citywest phone.[/quote]

Those motherfuckers. Now I’m even more pissed.

edit:

Turns out citywest artificially limits anyone not on bell/citywest to 1x service. Thanks to them I just got a new motorolla milestone for 300.00 including tax (regular 599.00) so uhh thanks citywest you guys rock.

[quote=“jesus”]edit:

Turns out citywest artificially limits anyone not on bell/citywest to 1x service. Thanks to them I just got a new motorolla milestone for 300.00 including tax (regular 599.00) so uhh thanks citywest you guys rock.[/quote]

you went from a working phone, to being so pissed off, to now spending 300$ on a phone to now witch you love citywest for, you smoking some good weed ?

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“jesus”]edit:

Turns out citywest artificially limits anyone not on bell/citywest to 1x service. Thanks to them I just got a new motorolla milestone for 300.00 including tax (regular 599.00) so uhh thanks citywest you guys rock.[/quote]

you went from a working phone, to being so pissed off, to now spending 300$ on a phone to now witch you love citywest for, you smoking some good weed ?[/quote]

my phone didnt work here at least not very often or very well. I intended to upgrade to a new phone next year anyway but in order to have a functioning phone on a network that is not owned by an incompetent corporation I had to upgrade early. Telus was kind enough to offer me a discount of 300.00 (plus whatever taxes would have been) for my troubles.

If thats means I’m smoking some good weed then I guess I am. I dont love citywest for anything I still think they are a shit company and need to get out of the way and let the big boys come in and run things properly. Dont get me wrong telus is no prize but they went out of their way to give me a phone at a loss to them to correct a problem caused by their competitor something citywest would NEVER do.

I find it rather sad that a ‘big bad corporation’ (telus being known for the worst customer service ever) is more customer friendly than the local telco. If it wasnt for their protectionist business tactics I wouldnt have been angry at them in the first place but thanks to their bullshit I got a sweet deal and they get bad publicity.

we should probably consider ourselves lucky …cmon were a shit hole town with a population of 13K tops.

Maybe…just maybe if us yokels had more loyalty to a local community there would be more revenue to justify more high tech services.

[quote=“mcsash”]we should probably consider ourselves lucky …cmon were a shit hole town with a population of 13K tops.

Maybe…just maybe if us yokels had more loyalty to a local community there would be more revenue to justify more high tech services.[/quote]

Nice troll. Maybe if the local ‘friendly’ phone company offered friendly service on par with that of the big boys people might choose them… or maybe if they offered actual customer service to us ‘locals’ instead of thinly veiled accusations people might be more inclined to support the local community phone company.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“mcsash”]we should probably consider ourselves lucky …cmon were a shit hole town with a population of 13K tops.

Maybe…just maybe if us yokels had more loyalty to a local community there would be more revenue to justify more high tech services.[/quote]

Nice troll. Maybe if the local ‘friendly’ phone company offered friendly service on par with that of the big boys people might choose them… or maybe if they offered actual customer service to us ‘locals’ instead of thinly veiled accusations people might be more inclined to support the local community phone company.[/quote]

Look jabroni…The last words I would use about shitty west is “friendly”…service at the SW varies from person to person.

So if your choose to ‘any fricken word that you quote me on’ please do it wisely…No one really like SW, but YOU just paid $300 to indirectly use SW…quit whining …

Yeah, tell that to Hartley Bay, population what? 200? They’ve had 3G for a long time now.

Or Haida Gwaii. Or the hundreds of communities across Canada that are smaller than Rupert that also have had 3G service for a long time.

“more loyalty to a local community”? What kind of loyalty does the Citywest leadership have to its employees? It’s their jobs that the management is gambling with every time they make a 1995 decision in a 2010 world. If their strategic thinking is accurately reflected in “we asked around and nobody wants it” then it’s not fair to blame Rogers and Telus customers for not being loyal to Citywest.

When Citywest seems to provide better service to customers in Terrace and Kitimat than customers in Prince Rupert, then you should ask the Citywest management about their loyalty. Why can Citywest magically do number porting in Terrace and Kitimat, but complained to the CRTC that they didn’t know how to do it in Prince Rupert?

What I don’t understand is this: there are brilliant people working at Citywest – does nobody stand up and tell their bosses to stop making bone-head decisions and start thinking about the future instead? They’re gambling with your jobs (and one of the City’s biggest assets), and they’re using a rulebook from 15 years ago!

[quote=“mcsash”]

Nice troll. Maybe if the local ‘friendly’ phone company offered friendly service on par with that of the big boys people might choose them… or maybe if they offered actual customer service to us ‘locals’ instead of thinly veiled accusations people might be more inclined to support the local community phone company.

Look jabroni…The last words I would use about shitty west is “friendly”…service at the SW varies from person to person.

So if your choose to ‘any fricken word that you quote me on’ please do it wisely…No one really like SW, but YOU just paid $300 to indirectly use SW…quit whining …[/quote]

Your reading comprehension fails you. I paid 300.00 to NOT use citywest.

Come on, he gets bonus points for calling you Jabroni. Admit it!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76069/avatars/itcrowd1.gif

Data-point: Rogers in Terrace is now 3G as well. Bell and Telus were already 3G here. Which is awesome, 'cause my Telus plan only has 1 gig of data, while my wife’s Rogers plan has 6 gigs. Both with free tethering.

[quote=“MiG”]Come on, he gets bonus points for calling you Jabroni. Admit it!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76069/avatars/itcrowd1.gif

Data-point: Rogers in Terrace is now 3G as well. Bell and Telus were already 3G here. Which is awesome, 'cause my Telus plan only has 1 gig of data, while my wife’s Rogers plan has 6 gigs. Both with free tethering.[/quote]

I’ll give him bonus points but he gets no actual points :wink:

I have an unlimited data plan with telus. They say they can probably transfer it to my new hspa phone but theres a possibility they cant. If they can goodbye citywest internet hello rooted phone with free tethering.

Why would you need to root your phone to get free tethering? Isn’t that a normal part of your data plan? I don’t have to pay for tethering on either Rogers or Telus. What do they care how you use your data?

I’m not sure about the android phones but on the blackberry I had to pay for tethered data. Not sure why I never had a need for the feature. Even if i dont have to root the phone to tether I will just because I want access to do whatever the hell I please.