#28 Where is this?

Do you know if the photograph is showing the location with north being at the top of the picture? If not, could you tell where north is?

Yes, North is up – that’s one of the standard rules in the game.

I’ve left the GlobeExplorer logo there for just this reason.

the province (assuming it’s a province and not a territory) that this site is located, is it east of the former home of the NHL Jets?

Is this place located near within 500 miles of the capital city of the leaf flagged country where this place is?

what’s the point of this rule anyway… there’s so many ways just to get around it.

I wouldn’t answer that one. Nor Stanley 19 's last one. They are still geography type questions.

How bout this question: Are there any major mountain ranges nearby?

You’d have to define “major” and “mountain” and “nearby” first.

It’s certainly not flat here, the horizon isn’t flat, that’s for sure.

[quote=“stanley19”]Is the runway (or what appears to be a runway) of significance in figuring out this puzzle?

MiG:
Well, partly, yes, I suppose so. The particular historical event I have in mind didn’t happen on that particular runway.[/quote]

You mentioned “that particular runway”. Does this historical event have to do with aviation at all?

There you go, that’s the kind of question you should be asking.

Yes, the historical event is a significant event in aviation history in Canada.

Is it at all possible that the image is flipped horizontally? I keep thinking it’s Baddeck NS, where the Silver Dart took flight, but the shoreline is angled the other way. I’ll keep Googling.

Nope, not flipped in any way.

And it’s obviously not Baddeck then either.

Did this event in aviation history take place before World War I?

This is Gander, site of the Arrow DC8 Crash in 1985.

As I re-opened this window to type in “Gander”, I saw you had beaten me to it. I was looking way too early in Canadian history.

Well done.

Yup, Gander is the site of many events Canadian aviation history, but the crash of Arrow Air Flight 1285 is what I was thinking…

It’s the deadliest plane crash in Canada, as well as the highest daily death toll for the American military since WWII.

The cause is still not settled, as even the Canadian investigators disagreed about the cause. Some suggested iced wings, others suggested a fire, possibly a bomb on board. Out of the 9 member investigation panel, 4 members disagreed with the findings.

I visited the site a few times, and in the early days it was a strange eerie landscape.

I found this explanation while looking for info about the crash:

http://www.cheniere.org/books/gravitobiology/dc8.htm

Also, check the wikipedia entry:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_Air_Flight_1285