100 Olympic Sled Dogs Culled

Nasty

CLICK ME

The owner of Outdoor Adventures Whistler is Joey Houssian, son of Intrawest founder, Joe Houssian.

I’m sure there will be charges on this one,though sadly they will probably be against the employee.

I read this yesterday through my BCSPCA site and as every other human should be, am horrified. There are no words to say, just tears to be shed for those beautiful animals. The mere fact that they shot these dogs with a vet in attendance is astounding to me. A vet is an advocate for humane treatment for all animals obviously, what the hell happened there? It is disgusting and heart-breaking. Why haven’t the dogs that are still “living” in this facility been seized? There are many people out there, I am sure, who would love to adopt one of these dogs but maybe can’t afford the cost. Please, GIVE them to pet lovers who will care for those who are left ! Good Luck to the BCSPCA. They have been dealing with many atrocities through their cruelty investigation unit in the past year but I am sure this must be the most horrific to date. I sympathize with those workers but commend them on their commitment.

Being an animal lover and after giving a stray cat a home last summer, I was deeply saddened and shocked about the story…
Charges should be laid against the company… I cannot even get out more words it’s such a sad story

It starts with the sterilization of language. The dogs weren’t killed, they were “culled.” That’s close to cuddle. I wonder where the dogs came from - I hope they weren’t from a Husky reserve in Alberta. I know a great puppy who was adopted and flown down there.

Craig Daniells, CEO of the BCSPCA made a statement and acknowledges and appreciates the outpouring from the public but is asking for patience while they progress with their investigation. I have to say “Soggy” that if I were an employee with that organization and was asked to perform this atrocity, I would have quit on the spot and reported it to the authorities immediately. If he is charged as the one that shot these beautiful animals then so be it as he is as culpable as the person who ordered it done. This happened April of 2010, why did it take so long to report it and what has happened to the other dogs? I hate to even imagine. As far as justice, what kind of justice can there be for slaughtering these defenseless animals?

I don’t even know where to begin with this story.

The employee who killed the dogs filed a claim with WorkSafe BC because he was suffering Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. If he hadn’t felt this - what would you call it, besides guilt - then the story would have never become public.

I can’t feel a whole lot of sympathy for this guy. He had the option of not killing the animals. And by the sounds of it, he did a lousy job.

Which brings me to the second shocking element of the story. Apparently killing (culling) your animals - even healthy ones - is not illegal as long as it is done humanely. theglobeandmail.com/news/nat … le1891056/

If the employee had been more accurate with his shooting and the dogs had died instantly instead of suffering, the employee may not have suffered PTSD and this story would never have been reported.

I realize the company couldn’t maintain its dogs when the Olympic rush was over, but there has to be a better way of solving that problem besides shooting them.

Now there are conflicting reports according to the news this morning on whether the SPCA was contacted regarding help for these dogs at an earlier date by this employee. They say they were only contacted in May regarding fencing so the dogs could be off leash but nothing regarding the killings. The BCSPCA and the RCMP were on site yesterday searching for evidence to present to the Crown for possible charges, They say the remaining dogs at this facility are unadoptable as they have been raised on chains. I had hoped there would be a happier ending for these beauties but it seems not so for the rest. I wonder why they can’t be transferred to one of the independant animal rescue and behavior facilities in BC for possible adoption at a later date. Can’t something be done? And yes, I am obsessive regarding anything to do with animals !! (I just noticed the number of posts of mine on this topic !)

This is a terrible story indeed. I truly hope steps are put in place to prevent a similar tragedy in the future!

Have you read the WCB report filed by the man who did this? Might make you puke so have a bucket handy.

beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01159/WorkSafe_BC_Review_1159405a.pdf
or on CBC website: cbc.ca/bc/news/bc-110131-wor … g-cull.pdf

According to Global last night, there is a sled dog refuge in Whitehorse that would have taken ALL these dogs …no one contacted them! No SPCA’s or others have come forward to confirm they were contacted to take the dogs. Absolutely no effort made to relocate any of them.

I have no sympathy for this worker at all. He could have said “NO” and contacted the authorities.

[quote=“Pureheart”]Have you read the WCB report filed by the man who did this? Might make you puke so have a bucket handy.

beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01159/WorkSafe_BC_Review_1159405a.pdf
or on CBC website: cbc.ca/bc/news/bc-110131-wor … g-cull.pdf

According to Global last night, there is a sled dog refuge in Whitehorse that would have taken ALL these dogs …no one contacted them! No SPCA’s or others have come forward to confirm they were contacted to take the dogs. Absolutely no effort made to relocate any of them.

I have no sympathy for this worker at all. He could have said “NO” and contacted the authorities.[/quote]

vancouversun.com/news/SPCA+t … story.html

Sounds like this is a long way from over and he said, she said…or didn’t

The BC.SPCA should wait till all the facts are in before shooting off their mouths!They put down a good number of unwanted dogs each year.

The SPCA doesn’t hire some goober who can’t even shoot straight to put them down, does it?

You should take your own advice. I think the spca’s are no kill shelters with the exception of sick or unadoptable animals. They are in the middle of a firestorm now and support for them would be really nice.

If any animal has to be put down, it is done so humanely, and most shelters only do so to animals who are suffering too much. Shooting a dog, and throwing it, still half alive, into a pile of it’s pack mates doesn’t sound very pleasant or humane to me. I have many mixed feelings about all of this. The business owner should have found homes for the dogs and shouldn’t have had so many in the first place, the SPCA should have checked up on the dogs again, and the worker, who was told to kill the dogs in the first place, should have said no if he felt so strongly about the pups as he says he does now. It gets frustrating for me, to see so many people step backwards and fail to stand up for what is right!

Check this out and if you agree, join with the over 13,000 who have already signed the petition.

thepetitionsite.com/1/prosec … sled-dogs/

I think the police did the same thing with all the homeless people. Where did they all go?

Former PR Daily News reporter Kim Pemberton has done some articles on this,

communities.canada.com/VANCOUVER … fault.aspx

She also has some interesting posts on dogs in general for those that are interested in that kind of thing on her blog called Puppy Love