Petronas LNG in Prince Rupert, Happening or Not?

Got a question for you, @stglider: What most people normally do between 7am to 5pm every weekdays and some weekends?

Very easy question.

Anyway… back to the new thread.

I was in my pedantry class.

3 Likes

Renewables! cheaper and cleaner!

The "Investor " warned!

7 posts were split to a new topic: Prince Rupert, “Sky High Rents”

Another nail in your LNG Dream!

The signing of The Lelu Island Declaration presents a major obstacle to plans by Malaysian-owned oil and gas giant, Petronas, to develop a liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant near Prince Rupert.

First Nations have no veto. Neither do opposition NDP MPs. The ‘declaration’ is basically just a press release.

I wonder what people are going to make of the fact that Jennifer Rice signed the declaration.

Stop the presses Mr. Cullen and ms. Rice is against job creating industries in Rupert. Go figure. As for the FN being against it, that would be news to the new Lax council who are still talking with petronas despite what other FN think since the project does not go into their territory

1 Like

This declaration is meaningless, all of the MLA’s and MP’s that signed this have absolutely no authority over the decision.

Same goes with the First Nation groups who signed, none of these groups have a veto.

All this declaration has done is finally exposed Nathan Cullen as AGAINST LNG development in the Prince Rupert area.

We already knew Jennifer Rice’s stance and we already know Robyn Austin wants nothing more than to see ALL North Coast LNG terminals to fail so that he can strengthen the support of the ones in his own riding, which he supports…he is nothing is not the biggest hypocrite. Doug Donaldson is just being as useless as always, so no surprise there.

If this resistance group wants a fight, they will certainly get one…this project has a ton of support.

Not surprised that they have signed this. They have always catered to the FN’s in this region, though I know that there are those who support LNG. Neither of them have advocated for job creation and economic growth in this region. Cullen put the kibosh on the Alaska ferry terminal upgrade.

The chief leaders representing the Metlakatla, Kitsumkalum, Gitxaala, Kitselas and Gitga’at First Nations have condemened and rejected the “Lelu Island Declaration” made this weekend.

They went on to further slam the elected members who signed the declaration: “The Chiefs are extremely disappointed that the local Member of Parliament and provincial NDP MLAs would choose to sign and comment on a project without any prior consultation or involvement with Tsimshian communities.”

2 Likes

Here’s a petition for those interested.

Lol! we already know she says Yes!

Kind of a bit early to say, but I wonder if the BCNDP had learned anything from their 2013 election defeat.

Another nail (Delay ) in the LNG Dream!

Got a question for you: Have you ever read the articles each and every time you post a linkage, or you only read the headline and assumed it’s some sort of a bad news?

The federal framework will take months to put together. The CEAA and Petronas decisions will happen long before that.

I guess Petronas has decided to bring more staff to Vancouver.

The article says 34,000 square feet for 75 workers. Most offices allow approximately 150 square feet per worker, so either everyone’s getting a huge office or there are more workers on the way.

Can someone explain to me how Jennifer Rice and Nathan Cullen can publicly object to a project that is still in due process? How can they ignore the wishes of large numbers of their electorate and First Nations and ignore a legal, Federally mandated Environmental process and replace responsible politics with cheap shots and smug speeches. This is disgraceful.
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/lelu-island-declaration-made-without-tsimshian-nations-support-2090961.htm)condemning

The thing about the Far Left (and indeed the Far Right in the US) is that they just love to say No to stuff. From their position at one of the political extremities, they don’t have a whole lot to lose.

Some people can’t get past the idea that others have differing opinions and priorities.

It may be unbelievable, but both the MP and MLA aren’t interested in pandering to the “business” or “investor” communities.

What I find strange is that people genuinely “can’t understand” that. I don’t mean it in any insulting way, but I know several people who literally can’t understand that the MLA and MP don’t share their views. Or that other people may actually not share their views.

To witness this in a larger scale, you should see the reaction to an NDP election win in Alberta. It’s the same effect. There are some that literally can’t understand how everyone doesn’t think like them.