Education discussion

2 posts were split to a new topic: Government scandals

Private schools have had government funding for nearly 40 years. It was put into place by Bill Bennett and the Social Credit. During that time we have 3 different parties govern the province including the NDP. During their tenure as the governing party of this province they could have changed the legislation to discontinue partially funding independent and private schools but they did not. I personally donā€™t care that private schools are partially funded. Those who do pay a significant amount of money to have their children in these schools, including government workers.

The fact that the government funds private education would not irk me as much if the government properly funded public schools. I can appreciate your point of view. We will agree to disagree. My opposition to using tax dollars to fund private education stands.

define properly funded public schools? more money for teachers pay and benefits? more schools for less students?

A properly funded system would have smaller class sizes, with better classroom composition. The term composition refers to the make up of the classroom, that is, the number of regular learners, and the number of students with special needs. For example a classroom of 24 regular learners is a vastly different learning environment compared to a classroom of 24 students where 5 of the students are learning disabled. Learning disabled children need more support to learn.
Private schools know all about classroom composition which is why they keep their class sizes small, and they can screen who they admit. They can and do turn away kids with learning challenges.
Yes. Teachers deserve a raise. Compared to other provinces BC public school teachers are paid less.

Ever been to a Math 12 class with at least 45 students crammed in one room? One teacher, no teacher assistants.

I agree the system could use more money. But where and how much money should be allocated ? You look at the lower mainland where the schools are over crowded. The infrastructure was not properly planned for the increase in population. The bottom line where is the money going to come from. As for teacher salaries you have to take in to consideration the income tax rate from each province. Iā€™m curious as to why some retired teachers are on call.

http://www.bcpsea.bc.ca/bc-teachers/collective-agreements/teacher-salary-grids.aspx

I suspect that they enjoy teaching a lot, so they come in and teach when teachers are ill.

Prince Rupert has always had a shortage of qualified substitute teachers.

Over the last several years the district has hired quite a lot of new teachers to be part of their pool of substitute teachers. The problem of course is that the district will hire teachers for positions from the pool of substitutes. There are days when it is hard for the district to get enough teachers on call.

The last time that situation existed - as if a MATH 12 class of 45 students in a BC school ever existed - it was in a time before social promotion existed, before students were moved along to the next elementary grade even though they hadnā€™t mastered the material or skills needed. It was a time before parents were promised that their children would get the support needed to catch them up, even though the school was not funded adequately to provide that extra support personnel or time from the teacher. If there was this hypothetical class, it was in a time when student who had low academic skills or learning disabilities that made school tough, could easily drop out and find work that was sufficient to support a family and lead an enriching and productive life. The students who made it into Math 12 back then were some of the absolute top academic young minds in the community, not just kids who had put in 12 years already. Those times donā€™t exist anymore, those classes donā€™t exist any more. So what is your point?

[quote=ā€œhitest, post:92, topic:17034ā€]
Over the last several years the district has hired quite a lot of new teachers to be part of their pool of substitute teachers. The problem of course is that the district will hire teachers for positions from the pool of substitutes. There are days when it is hard for the district to get enough teachers on call.
[/quote] I no longer teach in PR, but it is probably the same there as here in PG: The district can save money by hiring teachers to temporary (LD) contracts rather than to continuing contracts with all of the inherent benefits of full time employment. Whenever possible, districts post empty positions as LD contracts, preventing teachers from reaching that continuing status. The low pay afforded to part time teachers, combined with the poor prospects of ever becoming a full time teacher, cause many people to look for jobs in other locations where the prospects are better. Sadly, it also causes young teachers to leave the profession for other jobs that can provide stable employment.

3 Likes